Australian Sunflower Association
Formed in 1976, the objectives of the Australian Sunflower Association are to:
- Promote the Australian Sunflower Industry
- Assist in organising seminars and workshops
- Foster sunflower research and extension
- Coordinate and work with other similar industry associations, both domestically and internationally.
The Australian Sunflower Association acts as a voice for all sectors of the industry and assists growers to capitalise on new developments and opportunities. The ASA aims to develop grower confidence in all sunflower types through high yields and sunflowers' contribution to more profitable farming systems.
Key activities and publications undertaken and supported by the ASA include:
- The Better Sunflowers website for all agronomy resources and information.
- The Australian Summer Grains Conference.
- The 2013-2018 Australian Sunflower Industry Strategic Plan.
- Annually updated Sunflower Marketing Guide for Growers.
- A partner in the Australian Broadleaf Cropping Alliance, a Grains Research Development Corporation funded joint initiative between the Australian Oilseeds Federation and Pulse Australia.
- Nationally accredited training in partnership with Tocal NSW DPI for sunflower advisers and industry members.
- Quarterly Better Sunflowers eNewsletter.
Membership of the ASA consists of growers, researchers and personnel from all facets of the industry. These include the seed industry, crushing, refining, manufacturing, merchandising organisations and private agronomic advisers.
ASA Committee (correct April 2016)
|Kevin Charlesworth||Chair – Australian Sunflower Association; Grower, Clifton|
|Belinda Chase||Senior Agronomist, Dalby Rural Supplies, Dalby|
|Nick Goddard||Executive Director, Australian Oilseeds Federation, Sydney|
|Chris Haire||Program Manager, Summer Crops, NuSeed|
|Roland Hornick||Grower, Orion Via Springsure|
|Tony Lockrey||Consulting Agronomist, AMPs Moree|
|Tony McCumstie||Territory Manager – Liverpool Plains & Hunter Valley, Advanta Seeds|
|Paul McIntosh||Agronomist, Northern Region Manager, Pulse Australia|
|Krissy Campbell||Specialty Business Manager, AWB|
|Loretta Serafin||Leader Northern Dryland Cropping Systems|
|Sue Thompson||Research Fellow (Plant Pathology), University of Southern Queensland|
To contact the Australian Sunflower Association, email email@example.com
Left to Right: ASA Committee members Paul McIntosh, Maree Crawford, Loretta Serafin, Chris Haire, Kevin Charlesworth, Sue Thompson, Liz Alexander, Tony Lockery launch the Australian Sunflower Industry Strategic Plan with the Queensland Minister for Agriculture, Hon. John McVeigh MP